Recently God has been speaking to me and challenging me about a lot of different areas in my life and I want to share a certain part of it in this post. I have all kinds of weird dreams on a regular basis. Specifically a week or so ago I had one that was so odd, I woke up and kept thinking, "where on earth did that come from??". The thing that was so weird about it were the people in it. One particular person was someone I was extremely close with for a period of time in my life, but do not talk to anymore. It felt weird that they were in my dream when I had not talked to them in so long. But then I remembered that the night before I had this dream, I saw something that caused me to have a fleeting thought about them. I find dreams so interesting. In this situation the fact that I had such a strange dream that all derived from one simple thought I had many hours before it.
This got me thinking about how powerful our thoughts can be. Just imagine, our minds are constantly going, jumping from one thing to the next. How many thoughts go through our brain in the span of one day, let alone a lifetime? It is most definitely an unfathomable amount. Now think about the power that the thoughts that we have, have over us. They can cause us to make all types of decisions, sway our emotions, and most importantly affect our spiritual lives. There is so much in scripture about the thoughts we have and how they are equivalent to our actions. Philippians instructs us to think on the things of God and my, how important it is to do this!
In my walk with God there have been many times He has convicted me of certain things I was feeding my spiritual mind. Specifically with music. I used to listen to all kinds of music because I liked the way it sounded, but my mind wasn't blocking out the lyrics and just listening to the tune or the beat, it was taking it all in. Simply cutting out music that I did not feel like was honoring God noticeably changed my mindset in no time at all and now I cannot bear to listen to some of the things I used to!
Referring back to my story about my dream, because there was a point to that... just like I had a random thought about an old friend which turned into a crazy dream later on, we can have thoughts pop up out of nowhere that can be the beginning of something greater. So what are your thoughts? Are you thinking about the things in Philippians 3:8 which in turn flourishes your relationship with God, or are you letting your mind drift into places it shouldn't stunting your growth in God? Of course we do not have perfect minds that constantly think perfect things, but it is important that we are aware of our thoughts and the power they hold. Do not be weak with your thoughts. Pay attention to what you are taking in and abandon the things that are potentially dangerous to your spirit.
No comments:
Post a Comment